Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mac OS 10.5.3 for leopard, Security Update for Tiger

A few hours ago, Apple made the 10.5.3 update available on Software Update. There's lots of changes and fixes in this one. If you have 10.4 Tiger, you do get a nice set of security updates so you don't feel left out.  


The 10.5.3 update details can be found at Apple. The kbase article mentions inprovements or fixes for: Address Book, Automator, Airport, iCal, iChat, Mail, Parental Controls, Spaces, Time Machine and voice Over. I also noticed changes to Back to My Mac and Finder. 

For BTMM, there is now a red, green and yellow indicator for the service. I think it is just checking connectivity to the BTMM servers and successful login. I'm behind a crapy Linksys router that doesn't like to keep UPnP on, but I get a green light. So I can see the other mac, but connections still fail, as should since Universal Plug n Play isn't on. 

Finder now has a more accurate display of uploads to network drives, like iDisk. It used to sit on the closing file and would stay there until the file was finished uploading. That could be another 20 minutes or longer. Now it displays a rough estimate of the time remaining in the upload. 

If you have Tiger or haven't updated to 10.5.3, then you still want to use check updates for Security Update 2008-003. Updates include AFP Server, Apache, AppKit, CFNetwork, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, CoreTypes, Common Unix Printing System (CUPS), Flash Player Plug-in, iCal, LoginWindow, Mail, Wiki Server and  more. 

I installed 10.5.3 and had no problems. It was faster than the 10.5.2 update. So far, I'v only seen the usual people who seem to have trouble with every update complain. I see no reason to hold off of this set of updates.

0 comments:

Sitemeter