Well, here we go. First update and it's an Apple router one.
Apple released firmware update 7.4.2 for their Airport Base Station and Time Capsule today. Nothing particular for security mentioned, but there are several fixes which are listed as:
- Fixes some problems with extending and maintaining connectivity with extended networks
- Fixes an issue with clients that enable 802.11 "Power Save"
- Fixes connectivity issues with some third-party devices
- Fixes an issue when the base station is configured for PPPoE
- Fixes some Back To My Mac issues with connectivity and support for third-party routers
You don't have to use an Airport router for a Mac to get online and a Windows computer can use an Airport router. I got a Time Capsule for a good cheap price recently and i like it. It's an 802.11n router, has an internal hard drive for sharing files and has a USB port that you can connect more hard drives and printers to so all my Macs and PC's can easily share files and print.
The wireless range is pretty good. I can turn down the transmit power to 25% and still connect through two outside walls and on the other side of the yard from where the router is.